Online Dental Education Library
Our team of dental specialists and staff strive to improve the overall health of our patients by focusing on preventing, diagnosing and treating conditions associated with your teeth and gums. Please use our dental library to learn more about dental problems and treatments available. If you have questions or need to schedule an appointment, contact us.
There are certain tips to follow for wearing, and properly taking care of, your retainers.
- Your retainers should be in one of two places at all times; either in your mouth or in their case.
- Take your retainers off while eating.
- Maintain good oral hygiene with regular brushing and flossing to eliminate plaque and prevent tooth decay. Wearing retainers does not mean that basic oral hygiene can be ignored.
- Retainers are fragile and can melt or get damaged very easily. Keep them safely in their case and away from hot places.
- Retainers are highly appealing to pets since they are both chewable and they have your scent so keep them in a safe place away from where your pets can find them.
- Your speech might be affected when you wear your retainers. You can get used to wearing a retainer by practicing speech using words with the letters f, v, s in them such as "every, fine, Mississippi, sixty six, seventy seven."
- Don't swim while wearing retainers. Take them off before going into the water.
- Do not try to adjust your retainer since you might end up causing damage.
- In case of loss or damage, make an appointment with us without delay since your teeth can shift in a short amount of time.